The area of the municipality was already settled in the middle Bronze Age. Fifteen urn burials have been discovered in the municipality. There were late Bronze Age settlements medieval 2 total war stainless steel download 6.3 and west of the modern city.
Several Iron Age buildings have been discovered south of town. The first historic mention of the name dates from 736-37 as Delemonte. In 1131, the first mention of the German name Telsperg was recorded. The name is a combination of the Germanic Tello or Dagili with the Latin word mons for mountain.
Since the 7th century, the region belonged to the lands of the counts of Alsace. In 1271, it was sold to the Bishop of Basel. At this time it consisted of a fortified village and two castles, which were probably the homes of the Telsberg family. The old town was nearly square, with two large longitudinal streets that are intersected by three cross streets. The city was surrounded by city walls, which were strengthened in the southwest, near the Bishop’s Castle, during the 14th century. In the north-east corner a large round tower was built in the 13th century.
The town’s parish was first mentioned in 1255. During the Counter-Reformation a monastery of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin and an Ursuline convent were established, which remained until 1793. The Ursulines were established in 1698 to provide an education for young girls, which they did for almost a century. The chapel of Saint-Imier, the former chapel of Telsberg castle, was rebuilt in 1586 and dedicated to Mary.
During the increase in popularity of the Marian cult in the 17th century the chapel was expanded and rebuilt several times. In 1793, Delémont was conquered by French Revolutionary troops and became the seat of one of the districts of the Département du Mont Terrible. In 1800, this was incorporated into the Département du Haut-Rhin. After the fall of Napoleon, the region was given to the Canton of Bern in 1815. The city was briefly bilingual, but since 1920, the German-speaking minority has continuously decreased. Since 1947, the city became a center for agitation for separation from the Canton of Bern.