American national park located in southwestern Utah. The Bryce Canyon area was settled by Mormon pioneers in the 1850s and was named after Ebenezer Bryce, who homesteaded in the area in 1874. Bryce Canyon was not formed from bryce 5.5 3d download free initiated from a central stream, meaning it technically is not a canyon.
Instead headward erosion has excavated large amphitheater-shaped features in the Cenozoic-aged rocks of the Paunsaugunt Plateau. Little is known about early human habitation in the Bryce Canyon area. Archaeological surveys of Bryce Canyon National Park and the Paunsaugunt Plateau show that people have been in the area for at least 10,000 years. Basketmaker Anasazi artifacts several thousand years old have been found south of the park. The Paiute Indians moved into the surrounding valleys and plateaus in the area around the same time that the other cultures left. It was not until the late 18th and the early 19th century that the first European Americans explored the remote and hard-to-reach area.
Mormon scouts visited the area in the 1850s to gauge its potential for agricultural development, use for grazing, and settlement. The first major scientific expedition to the area was led by U. Army Major John Wesley Powell in 1872. Small groups of Mormon pioneers followed and attempted to settle east of Bryce Canyon along the Paria River.
In 1873, the Kanarra Cattle Company started to use the area for cattle grazing. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sent Scottish immigrant Ebenezer Bryce and his wife Mary to settle land in the Paria Valley because they thought his carpentry skills would be useful in the area. The Bryce family chose to live right below Bryce Amphitheater—the main collection of hoodoos in the park. A combination of drought, overgrazing and flooding eventually drove the remaining Paiutes from the area and prompted the settlers to attempt construction of a water diversion channel from the Sevier River drainage. When that effort failed, most of the settlers, including the Bryce family, left the area. Bryce Canyon Lodge was built between 1924 and 1925 from local materials. These scenic areas were first described for the public in magazine articles published by Union Pacific and Santa Fe railroads in 1916.
Humphrey promoted the scenic wonders of Bryce Canyon’s amphitheaters, and by 1918 nationally distributed articles also helped to spark interest. Ruby Syrett, Harold Bowman and the Perry brothers later built modest lodging, and set up “touring services” in the area. Syrett later served as the first postmaster of Bryce Canyon. Two story wood building next to flag pole with U. At the same time, conservationists became alarmed by the damage overgrazing, logging, and unregulated visitation were having on the fragile features of Bryce Canyon.
A road was built the same year on the plateau to provide easy access to outlooks over the amphitheaters. From 1924 to 1925, Bryce Canyon Lodge was built from local timber and stone. Members of the United States Congress started work in 1924 on upgrading Bryce Canyon’s protection status from a national monument to a national park in order to establish Utah National Park. The USS Bryce Canyon was named for the park and served as a supply and repair ship in the U. Pacific Fleet from September 15, 1950, to June 30, 1981. It runs the bookstore inside the park visitor center and is a non-profit organization created to aid the interpretive, educational and scientific activities of the National Park Service at Bryce Canyon National Park.
Responding to increased visitation and traffic congestion, the National Park Service implemented a voluntary, summer-only, in-park shuttle system in June 2000. In 2004, reconstruction began on the aging and inadequate road system in the park. Erosion of sedimentary rocks has created natural arches. The Bryce Canyon area shows a record of deposition that spans from the last part of the Cretaceous period and the first half of the Cenozoic era. The ancient depositional environment of the region around what is now the park varied. Several other formations were also created but were mostly eroded away following two major periods of uplift.
The Laramide orogeny affected the entire western part of what would become North America starting about 70 million to 50 million years ago. This uplift created vertical joints, which over time were preferentially eroded. The soft Pink Cliffs of the Claron Formation were eroded to form freestanding pinnacles in badlands called hoodoos, while the more resistant White Cliffs formed monoliths. Also created were arches, natural bridges, walls, and windows. Hoodoos are composed of soft sedimentary rock and are topped by a piece of harder, less easily eroded stone that protects the column from the elements. Bryce Canyon has one of the highest concentrations of hoodoos of any place on Earth. The formations exposed in the area of the park are part of the Grand Staircase.
The oldest members of this supersequence of rock units are exposed in the Grand Canyon, the intermediate ones in Zion National Park, and its youngest parts are laid bare in Bryce Canyon area. A small amount of overlap occurs in and around each park. Bryce Canyon has extensive fir forests. More than 400 native plant species live in the park. Bryce Canyon National Park forms part of the habitat of three wildlife species that are listed under the Endangered Species Act: the Utah prairie dog, the California condor, and the southwestern willow flycatcher.